|> a free utility to convert
csv files to kml format
i happen to work in the mapping industry so viewing csv
log files written by gps speed sentry is easy. i realise
that not everyone has access to mapping software and
google earth is a great free tool that can be used to
view maps (click
you dont have the software). csv2kml is a small utility
that converts csv files into the kml format which can be
read by google earth. its still a work in progress and i
welcome any feedback or suggestions on it.
the utility is currently written in visual basic 6 and
requires the comdlg32.ocx control in order to run (my xp laptop didnt have this installed so i have included this
in the download).
here are a couple of features available in the utility;
- the utility offers a fair bit of flexibility in terms
of column names etc (some are automatically recognised)
- any fields within the csv file can be used to create a
description for each point in the kml file
- point or line files can be created
- lines can follow the ground or use supplied elevations
- different icons can be specified in a csv column (see tips below for more detail)
- support for quote enclosed commas generated by excel
- conversion of xml escape characters
here are some tips for converting your csv files
- google earth requires latitude/longitude to be in decimal degrees.
- co-ordinates should be signed in the csv file i.e. 75w should be -75.
you can use additional fields named n/s & e/w to dictate
- goole earth requires elevation in meters.
- elevation will be converted to meters if the elevation field contains
the letters 'ft' (for feet) eg 100ft will be converted to 30.48m
- fields that are automatically recognised are lat_dec, long_dec, name,
icon and elevation these will be selected as the latitude, longitude
and elevation if they are present in the file (the can be overridden).
- the more fields that are used in the description the bigger the file.
- valid icon names are listed under the google earth sub-folder
\res\paddle e.g. ylw-stars-lv.png - all that is required is the image
- the icon base folder (i.e. paddle) can be changed in the setup.ini file.
- see the setup.ini file for additional settings.
the latest version of csv2kml is 1.0.2 compiled in february 2008. the utility can be downloaded using the link
- zip file click here